Monday 19 November 2012

Choosing the Next Course

I'm currently studying two courses, Introduction to Genetics and Evolution, and 6.00x: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming as the third one I was studying finished last weekend. Next week there are three courses starting that I'm interested in but there is no way I can manage to study five courses while working full time and tutoring on top of that. The courses I'm thinking about taking are the following.

Think Again: How to Reason and Argue (12 weeks, starts 26th November, 5-6 hours per week)
I always find it hard to argue with people and to pinpoint the problems with their argument when they are deflecting or introducing irrelevant topics. I don't trust myself to spot flawed arguments, unless they are mathematical, and I don't want to be an easy target so I think this course could be helpful in providing some enlightenment.

Introduction to Astronomy (9 weeks, starts 27th November, 6-8 hours per week)
I don't know much about astronomy although I've been learning bits and pieces over the last couple of years. I'd like to organise and extend that knowledge.

Drugs and the Brain (5 weeks, starts 1st December, 3-5 hours per week)
From when I was a young child, I wanted to study medicine. When I was 16 I realised that I wasn't clever enough and so I had to give up that dream. Even though the dream couldn't become a reality, the area of medicine still fascinates me. I did a course in Pharmacology a couple of months ago so hopefully the knowledge I gained from that course will be useful for this one.

Decisions, decisions. It's always so hard to choose.

No comments: