Sunday 1 January 2017

A Year of Stitches Day 2: Whipped Running stitch

Happy New Year! Today I'm continuing with the running stitch theme, today introducing whipped running stitch. I'm working under an old daylight bulb and boy does that thing get hot. I didn't think I was going to unpick anything but I found that my running stitches were varying too much in size and so threw that self-imposed rule out of the window. I was going to see if I would make fewer mistakes as time goes on but it's not a good way to do it, I think. Better to stop and correct as I go. I don't want to practise making mistakes!


Today's stitch

I'm using Anchor thread 0328 which is a peachy orange. First I drew a spiral on the cloth,(rather hard to see in the photo)




then embroidered it in running stitch in yesterday's yellow




before whipping it with the orange. I think I'm pulling my stitches too tight as the fabric is puckering a bit.



The small spiral in the middle is for tomorrow's woven running stitch and the spiral on the right is going to be done in split stitch, with the centre in satin stitch.


I forgot to mention before I'm embroidering on a double layer of poly cotton. I have no idea if this is a good idea. I guess I'll find out later.

No comments: